- "Yes, Darth Vader Ran for Office in Ukraine. Unfortunately, It's No Joke." October 30, 2015. The Washington Post/Monkey Cage. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/10/30/yes-darth-vader-ran-for-office-in-ukraine-unfortunately-its-no-joke/
- BBC Radio Five – Up All Night with Dotun Adebayo. March 1, 2015. Live interview about Russia.
- "Ukraine Crisis: Are Nazis and Nationalists Popular in Ukraine?" September 9, 2014. International Business Times. Interviewed for an article about Ukrainian politics. http://www.ibtimes.com/ukraine-crisis-are-nazis-nationalists-popular-ukraine-1683248
- "Ukraine's Next Electoral Challenge." September 6, 2014. The Washington Post/Monkey Cage. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/09/06/ukraines-next-electoral-challenge/
- "Is Ukraine Ready to Vote?" May 18, 2014. The Washington Post/Monkey Cage. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/05/18/is-ukraine-ready-to-vote/
- "2012 Ukrainian Elections: Post-Election Report." November 5, 2012. The Monkey Cage. http://themonkeycage.org/2012/11/05/2012-ukrainian-parliamentary-elections-post-election-report/
- "2012 Ukrainian Elections: Pre-Election Report." September 17, 2012. The Monkey Cage. http://themonkeycage.org/2012/09/17/pre-election-report-ukraine-2012-parliamentary-election/
Above: In November 2015, I contributed to a story about ballot history and design on 99% Invisible.
Above: In October 2014, I was invited to discuss the conflict in Ukraine at the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs. My visit was sponsored by the University of Oslo and Professor Geir Flikke.
International Service: I engage in a service agenda focused on professional development for social scientists from post-communist states. During the communist period, political science did not exist as a discipline (except in the form of Marxist studies, or political history). I have served as a mentor to visiting students and faculty members in several programs, including the US State Department's Junior Faculty Development Program, the Open Society Institute's Faculty Development Program, and Fulbright Program. I have also participated in projects with Ivan Franko National University (L'viv, Ukraine) and European University (St. Petersburg, Russia) to enhance social science instruction and research.
I actively participate in election observation missions with several international organizations, including the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, the International Republican Institute, and the Committee for Open Democracy. I have been deployed on thirteen missions, including presidential elections in Georgia (2004), Ukraine (2004 and 2014), and Azerbaijan (2008); parliamentary elections in Russia (1999), Ukraine (2002, 2006, 2007, 2012, and 2014), and Moldova (2010); and local elections in Ukraine (2010 and 2015).
Selected University Service
- Honors Faculty Fellow (West Virginia University Honors College, 2017-2018).
- Received the George and Eleanor Woodyard International Educator Award (University of Kansas, 2012).
- Academic Advisor to the Robert J. Dole Institute of Politics at the University of Kansas (2011), coordinating a series of events commemorating the 20th anniversary of the USSR's collapse. The series included a visit by Viktor Yushchenko, former President of Ukraine, and Arzu Geybullayeva, an online activist and blogger from Azerbaijan.
- Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Political Science (University of Kansas, 2010-2011), managing graduate student admissions and funding, and overseeing new initiatives in the program.
- Director of the Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies (University of Kansas, 2004-2007), managing strategic planning, programming, grant development and fundraising efforts. I was the principal investigator on successful US Department of Education National Resource Center and Foreign Language and Area Studies fellowship grants ($1.88 million), directed a US State Department-sponsored program that exchanged two dozen faculty members from KU and Ivan Franko National University in Ukraine over a three-year period, and spearheaded efforts to hold regular videoconference exchanges with institutions in Eurasia.
- Chaired several committees, including departmental searches and a college-level committee to develop a new BA in International Studies. Participated on departmental, college, and university committees, such as the Executive Committee of the Hall Center for the Humanities and Executive Committee of the Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
- Treasurer, Representation & Electoral Systems Section, American Political Science Association (2016-2018).
- Chair of the Pi Sigma Alpha Award Committee, Southern Political Science Association (2015).
- Program Director at the National Science Foundation: Political Science (2011-2014); Science of Organizations (2013-2014); I-Corps (2013-2014).
- Member of the Frank J. Goodnow Award Committee, American Political Science Association (2012-2013).
- Chair of the Committee on Organized Sections, American Political Science Association (2011-2013).
- Member of the Executive Committee, Representation and Electoral Systems Section of the American Political Science Association (2009-2013). I also served as the Bibliographer (2002-2011) and Chair of the Longley Award Committee (2010).
- Reviewed manuscripts for the American Journal of Political Science, American Political Science Review, American Politics Research, British Journal of Political Science, Comparative Politics, Comparative Political Studies, Electoral Studies, Europe-Asia Studies, European Journal of Political Research, Governance, Journal of Baltic Studies, Journal of Politics, Legislative Studies Quarterly, Party Politics, Political Research Quarterly, Politics and Policy, Polity, Problems of Post-Communism, Slavic Review, Social Forces, Social Science Quarterly, World Politics, American Councils, Cambridge University Press, CQ Press, Houghton Mifflin, KOLUM Program (Poland), Leverhulme Trust (UK), Michigan State University Press, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Science Foundation, Palgrave Macmillan, Roxbury, and the University of Michigan Press.
- Member of the Editorial Board of Political Research Quarterly and the Michigan State University Press Series on the Political Economy of Eurasia.
Contact: Please contact me at erik.s.herron [at] gmail.com for commentary on political developments in the post-Soviet region and international elections.